Marlin 6 is a quality introductory cross country mountain bike with front suspension and an upgraded 2x8 drivetrain that's light, simple, and easy to use. It's built-in Trek's trail heritage, but also equipped with features like mounts for a rack and kickstand that make it a great choice for daily commuters.
It's right for you if...
You're testing the waters of off-road riding, and want a real mountain bike at a great value, with a wide range of gears to cover more ground on the road and trail.
The tech you get
The heart of Marlin 6 is a lightweight Alpha Silver Aluminum frame with internal routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look. It has an efficient 2x8 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes that feel smoother than mechanical disc brakes, and a suspension fork with 100mm of travel and a lockout feature that lets you temporarily lock the suspension for better efficiency while climbing.
The final word
Performance features like suspension lockout, stronger double-walled rims, and hydraulic disc brakes. It's also equipped with rack and kickstand mounts and a wide range of gears. These design details make it a great choice if your mountain bike doubles as your commuter.
Why you'll love it
- The 2x drivetrain gives you all the gears you need and none you don’t
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- It has separate brake and shift levers (a feature that's common on more expensive mountain bikes) so you can fine-tune the positioning for comfort
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
|Frame||Alpha Silver Aluminum, internal routing, chainstay disc brake mount, rack and kickstand mount, 135x5mm QR|
|Fork||SR Suntour XCT 30, coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, 51mm offset for 29" wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel|
Front: 5x100mm QR
Rear: 135x5mm QR
|Rims/Wheels||Bontrager Connection, double-wall, 32-hole, 20mm width, schrader valve|
Front: Formula DC-20, alloy, 6-bolt
Rear: Formula DC-22, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub
|Tires||Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi|
|Bottom Bracket||VP BC73, 73mm, threaded cartridge|
|Chain||KMC Z8.3, 8 speed|
|Front Derailleur||Shimano Altus M315, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano Altus M310|
|Cassette/Rear Cogs||Shimano HG31, 11-34, 8 speed|
|Shifters||Shimano Altus M315, 8 speed|
|Handlebars||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise|
|Tape/Grips||Bontrager XR Endurance Comp, lock-on|
|Stem||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree|
|Brakes||Tektro HD-M276 hydraulic disc, short reach lever|
|Pedals||VP-536 nylon platform|
|Saddle||Bontrager Arvada, steel rails|
|Seat Post||Bontrager alloy, 31.6mm, 12mm offset|
* Subject to change without notice.